Friday, February 16, 2007

Gumstick Gentoo - Consolidated Links




I know that it might be difficult to find the location in my tutorial you'd like to start/end, so I decided to consolidate the links with a brief overview of what's covered in each section. Hopefully, this will aid the readers.

Part 1: Know thy Enemy - Portage

  • Basic Difficulties of squashing Gentoo into a small space
  • Identification of Directories holding much of the storage space
  • Overview of tools we will need

Part 2: Always two, there are. A Master and an Apprentice
  • Basic definition of Embedded System Development (host, target)
  • How to setup your Host for development
  • Extracting the Base Gentoo Stage 3 setup

Part 3: Fattening the Turkey
  • Developing the core Gentoo system for deployment
  • Building kernel with needed options for USB boot
  • Editing grub menu.lst for USB boot
  • Installing X-windows and fluxbox

Part 4: Go forth and Multiply (except for snakes... they're adders)
  • Partitioning/Formatting USB Device
  • Mounting for deployment
  • Deployment of Gentoo onto thumbdrive
  • Final setup of Grub.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This article rocks. Can't wait to digg it later, (if it aint there yet)! I have posted your link to one of the largest forums on Linux and I do hope more people visit your blog.

Thanks for the info man, and for sharing something this cool. honestly, I have not thought of having it in one of my flashdrives, but this is so cool that I must know how to do it.

Hope to read more from you.

Hunter said...

Mind telling me which forum?

**gotta have a bit of narcissism**